A station, organization, or individual may submit more than one program or series in each category. However, a particular program or series may be entered in only one category. Categories are used for administrative purposes only. All entries are in open competition with all other entries. The Peabody Board may recognize more than one winner from a given category or may choose to make no award in that category. Awards are announced and presented without mention of the category in which they were submitted. Submission categories are:
- News Includes spot coverage, reporting, investigation, interpretation and commentary on news events. Breaking news coverage should be submitted as aired in real time without significant editing.
- Entertainment Regularly scheduled or special programs characterized by excellence in the presentation of drama, comedy, music, the performing arts, variety or sports.
- Programs for Children Series and special programs or projects primarily intended for an audience of children (2-11) or youth (12-17).
- Education Creative and effective use of electronic media to enhance teaching and learning. Documentation of educational objectives and outcomes should be included.
- Documentary In-depth examination of issues of local, national or international importance or of contemporary or historic events.
- Public Service One-time or continuing projects using a single medium or a variety of means to respond to an important public problem or issue. Evidence of results should be provided.
- Individuals, Institutions or Organizations A body of work or a record of accomplishments by an individual or institution in radio, electronic media which represents exceptional achievement and meritorious public service.