2019 NomineesIn April 2020, the Peabody Awards Board of Jurors selected 60 nominees representing the most compelling and empowering stories released in electronic media during 2019. Each year, nominees are chosen from approximately 1,300 entries across news, entertainment, documentary, children's, public service, and web/interactive programming. From this group, 30 programs are chosen to receive the coveted award.
- A Different Kind of Force: Policing Mental Illness
A poignant examination of how law enforcement officers tackle the challenge of policing people with mental illness that sagely approaches the complex topic from various standpoints.Read More »
- Gangster Capitalism: The College Admissions Scandal
The first season of the podcast mixes sterling and deep journalistic investigation with thoughtful framing analysis to explore 2019's college admissions...Read More »
- Independent Lens: HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
Intimately exploring the everyday lives of African Americans in rural Alabama through artistically rendered vignettes, director RaMell Ross captures...Read More »
- Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (if you're a girl)
The story of a skateboarding camp and school for girls in Afghanistan, Carol Dysinger's delightful film empathetically charts the young skaters as they...Read More »
- Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Raced to Death—The Plight of the American Thoroughbred
Hard-hitting and important account of the high incidence of racehorse deaths and their poor treatment in the United States.Read More »
- Wednesday, May 6: Nominees press release.